Week 7: Shonen Seinen

   Bakuman is a dramatically drawn exaggerated comedy about a serious 9th grader who wants to become a Mangaka. The first chapter is so appealing in how the artist is able to illustrate passion. In the same way that hearing someone gush about a topic they love (even one you may not understand at all)- this art gives way to the same feeling. The energy and excitement is contagious.
   By dramatically drawn I mean its average level of detail maintains a high standard. It certainly gets simpler for comedic effect at times- as well as more detailed at important moments- but normally the detail and edge work is very fine and neat. Every panel without a closeup has a background- and the entire manga contains shading and textures.
   The piece is exaggerated in both its art style and story. While a student who wants a normal life and has given up on a dream is fairly normal- the length this character goes to with explaining how impossible the dream is- makes it an exaggerated version of a believable character. This can be said for all of the characters as well as the storyline. This works to make the piece more clearly readable (as the characters are defined by their exaggerated traits, making them more obvious). It also makes the piece relatable but still alluring in its differences.
   The comedy aspect is what really makes the manga. Because the characters are all still in school- and some of these decisions aren't necessarily very impactful for their futures- the piece comes off much more light. This allows the writer to discuss darker topics without changing the tone of the whole piece, like the daunting death of the main character's uncle, and the varied expectations put on him by all of the different people in his life.
   Maybe its because I'm an artist but I find this piece particularly relatable, exciting, and just generally alluring. I can't believe I waited until now in my life to read it and I might be kicking myself a little. Its a very compelling manga.

Comments

  1. (This is Hanlu I can't switch my profile to my school account)

    I haven't read Bakuman, but your description of it makes me very interested. I also wanted to be a "mangaka" when I was in middle school and early high school. I've also been recommended to read this by a friend. It sounds interesting, especially the expectations placed on him because I can relate to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about this particular series before but never had the chance to watch it. After reading your description of it only makes me more eager to watch the series or even read the manga. I tend to gravitate more towards series with unique art styles or concepts so this is definitely on my list to watch.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 9: CyberPunk