Week 6: Shojou

      I will admit I have a strong bias toward shojou. I just don't like it in most cases. After thinking this over for a while I think I'm finally able to put into words why I don't like it so much. I can't relate to the relationships in the more romantic pieces because they are built on this strange definition of love that doesn't exist in life. Even when I was little I've believed that all kinds of love, regardless of the kind of relationship (romantic or otherwise) has this component of "easy happiness" with the other person. When you're with them it's easy to just be happy.
      I don't see this in these stories and It makes every concept of love seem entirely in-genuine.  Theres less emotional growth then there is informative-mental growth. The plot continues has they learn more about each other but the actual emotional maturity and development of the characters barely changes or is discussed and I find it very frustrating to read or watch.

      I will say that maid sama was different that what I've grown to expect from Shojou but it still hasn't convinced me to seek shojou out. I find it a shallow genre and rather unappealing.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 7: Shonen Seinen

Week 3: Gekiga